Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Brave New World

I will begin teaching middle school English in August and have decided to blog my experience. I will avoid names and/or distinguishing features in the hopes of not embarassing myself or anyone else.

This will be my first time teaching public school and quite frankly I'm scared shitless. I'm getting my teaching certification through an alternative certification program (ACP) and beginning to wonder if I'll be ready for the fall semester. Lord, I hope so.

Oddly, I'm not as worried about the children as the environment. I'm not the most "decorative" person and my classroom might leave a lot to be desired. Exactly what do you put on the walls of an 8th grade classroom? How do you decorate so that the kids don't think you're treating them like babies? How do you go about creating a "nurturing and safe learning environment?" [By the way, that was my stated goal on a recent homework assignment. Nice, huh.] I got no clue.

Welcome aboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Title courtesy of Aldous Huxley.

No comments: