Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Last year vs. Now

So here I am experiencing my second Teacher Prep week. Wow.

Last year, I was just trying to figure out what everyone was talking about AND trying to meet my new coworkers. This year, I'm amazed by the amount of crap from last year that I've still got that I don't want.

Last year, I had no idea what I was doing - I'd had some loose training (one week long orientation) and my alternative certification program, but I was nervous and really kinda unsure of what to do when actual children arrived in my classroom. This year I know what to expect, job-wise at least, and I have a better understanding of teaching and working with children.

Last year I hoped I would like teaching and wondered what I would do if I hated it...or the children. But I had a great time last year - I wasn't the best teacher, most 1st year teachers aren't, but I feel pretty sure I didn't scar anyone for life and my students may have learned something too! (Most of my students even passed the TAKS test!)

This year I've got some great ideas (that I know will work), much more confidence in myself and my teaching skills, and I'm looking forward to the kids that are coming up to 8th grade.

This year will be better than last year - amazing how experience can greatly increase confidence, yeah.

The kids return next week - can't wait!

2 comments:

Nonni said...

Just wanted to say I enjoy your blog . . .

I noticed you follow my old one (Big Adventure) but not my newer ones ( I now teach middle school). I have 6 or 7 blogs, I think(?), including a FOOD one! My molten cakes beat cupcakes all to heck!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.