Sunday, October 19, 2008

New year, new school

I got so busy last year that I didn't have time to keep this blog up and running. That's kinda sad since I have very few places to comment about my teaching experience other than at my friends/relatives. So now I'm back (thank you, Gloria Gaynor) and will try to be a little more regular with my posts.

So let's see, as the heading says, I've changed schools. Around about November, last year became just horrific. By March, I was positive that I wouldn't be coming returning, even if it meant that I'd have to give up teaching. The long and short of it is that I found it difficult to work with the administrator who oversaw the English department and the 8th grade. She was rarely helpful and more often than not dismissive in her suggestions/requirements for the teachers. Discipline of the 8th graders was non-existent unless they were directly disrespectful of her. It was not a good year.

In my opinion, our principal ignored the whole situation, unless a parent become involved. (Apparently she had more important things to worry about, like the fact that she was being sued by a former teacher. Marvelous.)
When, at the end of year, I received an email...an email...telling me that I was being transferred to the sixth grade, I was done. No questions of whether I wanted to make the change, just an email saying I would and if I didn't agree then I was out of a job. Nice. And so not happening. Add to this the cost of the commute and you can see that I needed to get away from that place.

Anyway
, during the summer, I applied for a position at a school about 5 minutes (literally) from my house and got it. So now I'm at a new school in a new school district. The new school is a lot different from the old place; a little more touchy-feely, a little more middle class, and a lot smaller student population. I miss my friends/teacher family at the old school but I'm much happier and hell, that's worth a mint right there.

The new school is also an International Baccalaureate middle school, which is a lot of work but will make my eventual move overseas a lot easier, at least for the job search. For now, it's a lot to take in and the transition is difficult at times, but I like it a lot. I'm making it work and we'll see how it goes.

Stay tuned...I promise to do better with the posts!

No comments: